Positive computing a whirlwind tour

positive-computing

Positive computing is the software branch focused on increasing human well being. Similar to positive psychology, it is a brand new field and our industry has barely begun. I’ll use this post to gather my half baked thoughts on the various applications I’ve seen. For now it’ll be confusing as I’m brain dumping to various audiences with various knowledge.

Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) is a form of psychotherapy that treats problems and boosts happiness by modifying dysfunctional emotions, behaviors, and thoughts. Unlike traditional Freudian psychoanalysis, which probes childhood wounds to get at the root causes of conflict, CBT focuses on solutions, encouraging patients to challenge distorted cognitions and change destructive patterns of behavior. Because of it’s ‘shallow’ depth, CBT is the basis of many of the positive psychology apps.

Frequent Features

Many positive computing apps mix and match the following features. Some apps focus only on one of these, but usually it’s a combination.

• Mood tracking Record your mood and graph it over time (similar to tracking weight)
  • Meditation Timer Set a timer to track meditation.
  • Paid meditation courses Buy a meditation course - great way to monetize.

CBT Activity/Apps:

Happify(CrunchBase): Analytical, gamified activities to improve well-being (e.g. click balloons with positive words).

• I find this app very analytical, feels too data-driven for average folks.
  • Fun little games like: See a bunch of balloons with words in them, and only click balloons that are positive (lose points if you click negative words)

Pacifica(CrunchBase):Daily tools for stress, anxiety, and depression alongside a supportive community. Based on cognitive behavioral therapy & mindfulness meditation.

• This looks like it’s targeting clinical support.

Mood Notes(Crunchase) - Basic mood tracking + CBT exercise like self reflection and common distortion evaluation.

• Very cool mood entering by doing an up/down on a face - very cool.

CBT Chat Bots

X2AI(CrunchBase): Affordable, on-demand, and quality mental healthcare for everyone using psychological AI.

Woebot(CrunchBase): Woebot is an automated conversational agent (chatbot) who helps you monitor mood and learn about yourself.

To be categorized

Happier: Celebrate the good around you.

• Think Facebook where you can only post things you are grateful for, and be in a bubble of good thoughts.

Meditation/Mindfulness Trainers

These apps help you train mindfulness, usually via meditation courses, meditation timers, and musical sound tracks.

• Calm
  • Head space
  • Oak

Yet to research

• Ginger.io
  • Quit Genius - A tool to help you quick smoking based on CBT. Could apply to any domain.

Wearables

Some wearables are aimed to wellness improvements - I’ve tried many see ‘em here.