Ever wish you had a user manual for your life? Imagine how reassuring it would be to know you can look up your difficulties in the table of contents, and read the chapter on how to solve your problem. For me, that manual is the The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and it contains a model which I apply to many of my personal and professional problems and goals.
I use the concepts in this book as the basis of my self improvement and coaching. To help me internalize the 7 habits, I’m creating video summaries of the key concepts.
The habits are the basis of many self improvement books which often zoom into a specific habit. Here are the habits and the books I’ve read which are the “deep dive”:
- 0. Intro
- Inside Out
- Charector vs Personality Ethic
- Pardigm - rabbit vs duck
- Subjective vs Objective - Carrier vs Lighthouse
- Thoughts, Actions, Habits, Charector, Life
- Depednant, Independant, Interdependant
- Effectiveness, P/PC Balance
- Assets: Physical, Financial, Human
- Map vs Terrain
- Teach others to teach yourself
- How we “see” the problem, because our subjective problem.
- Around and around - Feedback loop
- 1. Be Proactive
- See ourselves - indpendant of feeling and mood and others
- Time between stimulus and response
- Freedom to choose the response
- Carry a bubble of our own emotions
- Initiatve - Our responsiblity to make things happen
- Act or be acted upon
- Reactive vs Proactive Language - I have to vs I choose
- Love verb vs noun
- CI/CC - Circle of Influence/Circle of Concern
- Growing our CI
- Keeping Commitments - our most valuable PC
- Two ends, action and conseqeunce, pick action, get consequence.
- 1. Books
- 2. Being with the end in mind
- 3. First things first
- 4. Seek win, win
- 5. Seek First To Understand, then to be understood.
- 6. Synergize
- 7. Sharpen the saw
To change the situation, change ourselves We transform from the inside out. Change how we think, then change how we act and how we succeed.
Charector vs Personality Ethic
Our integrity, vs our salesman ship
Pardigm - rabbit vs duck
Subjective vs Objective - Carrier vs Lighthouse
Thoughts, Actions, Habits, Charector, Life
Depednant, Independant, Interdependant
Sow a thought, reap an action. Sow and action reap a habit, sow a habit, reap a charector, sow a charector rep our destiny.