iOS and iPadOS tips
I spent a LOT of time on my iPhone/iPad - here are some of the tools/tips I use.
- Augmented Reality Apps
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- Doing development including markdown
Global Controls (For iPhone X)
- Goto Launcher - Right Ear -> Swipe Right
- Goto Control Panel - Left Ear -> Mid screen
- Screen Capture - Power and Volume Up
- Screen Capture Video - Control Panel Round dot (enable through configuration)
- Siri -> Hold Power
- Hey Siri -> A better way to launch Siri
- Scroll to top of page -> press on time
- Reboot -> Volume up then Volume down, then press side button for 10 seconds.
Siri (For iPhone X)
- QS Access - Allow you to export your health data in tabular format - pretty nice.
- Sleep cycle - Smart wake up alarm.
- Heart Watch - Crazy level of detail on your heart rate.
- Auto Sleep - Watch based sleep tracking.
- Take picture by pressing volume up.
- Hey Siri take a selfie
- App: LightX
- Just press record - Keep full voice recording (not just transcription)
- Fantastical - Best Calendar app - period.
- Magic Launcher - Cool idea, app launch from widget menu.
- Dark Sky - Micro weather
- Bear - Writing tool
- LightX - photo editor with magic wand.
I use chrome instead of safari since it synchronizes my passwords and my open tabs. Chrome gestures:
Back/Forward - Swipe Left/Right from page edge Switch tabs - Swipe Left/Right on address bar. Refresh Tab - Pull top of page down. Close Tab - Pull top of page down and to right New Tab - Pull top of page down and to left
Keyboard: Test if these work https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/fiR1lQ0mpbw;context-place=forum/chrome
A launch center which can execute URLs best use case is from a today widget.
Automate common tasks - like send text to person (which can be added as a share extension) and send last screen shot to person. Can also add “shortcuts” to launcher.
Here are my favorite watch apps:
Next appointment - Fantastical Exercise/Heart rate monitor - Heart Watch Smart Wake up - Auto Wake Weather - Dark Sky
A great feature on the watch folks don’t know about is multiple watch faces. I use one face for off work (photos), one for work (calendar view), and one for sleeping (smart alarm clock view)
Augmented Reality Apps
- IKEA: Put IKEA furniture in your room.
- Magic Plan: Determine floor plan interactively.
- Light-Space: Paint in AR
- AR Dragon: Play with a toy dragon
- My recommended writing application.
- Synchronized audio playback and writing
- Nice iCloud syncing
- Google Drive PDF creation
- Excellent Hand Writing Recognition and search.
- Side by side page view
I now recommend using Notability, however a few places where Notes Plus still has superior features:
- Prettiest Render
- Smart Gestures (Scratch to erase, deduce shape)
- Best cross platform app
- Hand writing in native, but it’s meh compared to the others
- My favorite drawing app - nice intuitive controls
- Nice ink
- I haven’t actually used it, but apparently it can turn photos into vector graphics (pretty cool)
- Augmented drawing. Cool idea you can draw connected diagrams and move them around, but it feels great for a demo, but doesn’t actually work well yet.
- Google Keyboard - lets you use a swype like gesture
- Stylus - lets you write by actually writing on the screen (similar to windows ink)
W-S-3 - Take screen shot Long press W - See supported key strokes (varies per app)
Doing development including markdown
Read my post on being an iPad developer nomad